Sunday 28 February 2010

#59: Argh! It Burns!

One of the greatest things I love about Asia is that for all its zaniness, there is the sense of application of common sense in all the appropriate places. In Britain and America, they'll tell you the coffee you just bought is hot because they don't want to be sued when you burn your tongue drinking it. In Asia, they'll tell you the coffee you just bought is hot because the coffee you just bought is hot.

I just spent most of tonight surrounded by an obscene amount of barely-controlled pyrotechnics while they were purposely being fired into our direction. I wasn't alone though, I was with thousands of other like-minded-crazy-people, it was an incredible experience, the Yenshui Beehive Fireworks Festival really is something unique! Of course amongst the pops, there were sounds of ambulances throughout the night, yet I could say with 90% certainty that no talk of lawsuits would ever occur.

When I decided to take part in this event I (kinda) had an idea of what I was getting into, I didn't have to sign any forms, I was aware of the risks, as was everyone else. They're shooting freakin' rockets into the crowds, you just don't get to do this with a whole town in the UK!

No comments: