Tuesday 9 March 2010

#68: I Love My Sister.

My sister and I, are complete opposite ends of the same stick. She recognises actual music, I do beats and RnB. She does humanities and history, I do science and engineering. When it was just the two of us - she'd do the cooking and washing, I'd do the cleaning and washing up. She acts with her heart, I ponder with my head. We fought and argued like crazy when we were kids, she'd hit me over the head with a fluorescent yellow tennis racket, I'd bump her head into a brick wall.

Yup, I remember that. Sorry.

If we weren't brother and sister we probably wouldn't even have met each other - our walks of life are that different.

Yet, if it wasn't for my sister, I probably would never have moved out to Tokyo before, and onto Taipei now. When telling my students stories of my family, one of my favourites is the one where my little sister goes off travelling all by herself a year before university. She circled the globe in nine months (I think) with nothing but her backpack and camera (I usually leave out the part that that's coz she'd lost everything else). The best part is after she came back and graduated outta uni, as soon as she was free she went off and did it all over again!

Were it not for her, I probably would never have had the spark to move away myself... though with less hitchhiking, and more flushing toilets. I remember when we were younger I got so annoyed when she used to copy me all the time. Heh. Funny that.

Of all the people in the world, my sister is probably the one who's seen me most at my worst and most heartless. Yet she's still the one who reminds me about family events and birthdays, who'll still offer to get the gifts and cards on my behalf. We'll go a year and not say a word to each other, and yet just carry on like it was just a weekend passed when we meet up.

I'm a pretty terrible older brother, there will still be many, many times I'm sure when I will piss my little sister off.

But there is very little that I wouldn't do for her.
Sis, I just wanted you to know that.

No comments: