Wednesday 21 April 2010

#111: Shameless.

During the time between the ages of 16 and 24 I stopped being scared.

When describing the occurance, I usually say that something "switched" in my head/attitude.

Actually it was more like a gradual evolution. I can pinpoint the catalyst though. It was at Thorpe Park, in front of the log flume ride. My aunt asked me why I was so scared of going down that log flume, when my little cousin wasn't scared at all. It was a very good point; I was only scared coz people were telling me it was scary. Duh.

That's right Albert, you kicked it off for me!

Oh I still get afraid, I just choose not to be scared. There's a difference.

More specifically - I stopped being scared of failing. Having no sense of pride, shame, or "face" means that everything I ever do, I truly do it for myself. I'm completely, utterly and unabashedly selfish.

If I fail the first time, I'll go at it again, and again, until I get it right. And if I ever give up on something, then it means that I just didn't want it enough. I don't think I've ever given up on anything yet (that mattered anyways).

Now if I could just apply this mentality to my gymming habits. Maybe I'll start going again.........

No comments: