Saturday 9 January 2010

#9: Thrillseeker

When I was a wee lil'un I was the most timid kid in the world, everything frightened me. I'd cry at the slightest poke, overcompensate to embarrassment and I'd never, ever, wanna try anything new.

I can mark the exact point that kicked off the process where I would eventually go from runner, to chaser.

Thorpe Park, 1997.
My 12yr old Cousin Albert wanted to go on the Loggers Leap ride, my 16yr old self didn't. It was a bloody scary ride! You'd fall from great height! You'd get that scary 'whoosh' feeling in your tummy! You'd get wet!

Aunty Jackie then said to me, "If Albert can do it, why can't you?!"

And that was the mental snap. I never did have a good reason, I was just being scared coz people told me it was scary. So since then, this question spread to the rest of my mentality. Up to the point where I now wish I knew how to make other frightened people understand; how simple it actually was, to switch the perspective.

Oh wait, I just realised... I think I'm still overcompensating. Heh. =/

The trick is - to Overcompensate Positive. Waste nothing!

No comments: