Tuesday 2 February 2010

#33: You Make It What It Is.

The pump attendant at the petrol station missed the mark today, twice. I'd never seen that before, this dude with the bad orange/red dye job had just one job to do - and he failed, twice. I used to play a little game with myself back when I still had a car - I used to keep my hand on the pump and try to release the lever right on the £20:00 mark, if I'd miss I'd go for the next 10p, and then the next, and then the next...

Anything to not have to deal with loose pennies in the pocket.

Either way, the perfectionist in me hates half-arsing jobs. If you're gonna do anything worth doing - then do it right. A job that makes you money is always something worth doing, even if it is the most mundane job. At Starbucks I tried to make sure every coffee I made look good, to the point where customers would come back and specifically request me to make their cappuccinos. I took great pride in that.

Lazy to the point of total apathy, yet fastidiousness to the point of utter myopia. You see how my train of thought works?

No comments: