Wednesday 26 May 2010

#146: Trimming The Fat.

Sometimes it only takes one element.

I have classes where, were it not for one kid in that class, they'd be the smoothest running classes in the world. It doesn't have to be the typical misfit broody rebel gangser wannabe, it might just as easily be the one who is so hilarious - he makes the rest of us laugh the whole way through until I realise that we haven't actually gotten anything done. Great for the occasional boring session, gets tiring when it's every lesson and you're trying to make sure they all meet the requirements for the next big test.

So whenever those kids are absent for whatever reason. I'm always amazed at these kids sitting in front of me - it's like they're lil genius angels!

It applies elsewhere as well. Sometimes it really is a case of surgically removing the disruptive elements from our lives so that we may properly focus.

Just like the kid who's not actually naughty, just extremely distracting - these things are called guilty pleasures for a reason - I could take away most of my tech and be no less bored, it'd certainly free up a lot of my time and I might actually be able to sleep at night. But I haven't and I don't coz I'm still a weak puny human with puny human tolerance levels.

But in truth, I wouldn't be here and as comfortable with myself as I am today, if I hadn't applied this logic a while back. I wasn't happy with my situation, it was leading me down a dark road, so I walked away from all the negative influences in my life. Of course it's never such a clean differentiation and I've sacrificed a lot of good ties as collateral, but what I've found is that this is where you discover where your bonds are strongest. Cut the crap away and see what strands are left, those are the chains who are gonna stay with you a long long time. Still gotta be able to recognise the good chains from the bad chains though.

Hmm... I've kinda lost my point on this post... (¬_¬)

What was I talking about again?

No comments: