Thursday 27 May 2010

#147: Momentum.

I live just south of the central part of Taipei, my workplace is out in the north eastern part of town, past other side of the river.

If I time it right, I'll only need to stop for red lights three times on my commute across the city. "Timing it right" means hammering it down from the first light outside my apartment and not letting the revs drop too low for any significant amount of time. My engine is a solid lil workhorse but having spent most of it's 15yr life as a rental bike means that it's not as spritely as it might've once been. It'll keep cruising speed quite readily - just takes a wee bit of time getting up there.

Most days this means I'll get to work in around 25mins door-to-door. If I get blocked by a swervy taxi or an overenthusiastic truck driver though this'll throw me out of sync with the lights and my journey time will easily increase to around 35mins. That's like a 40% increase in time taken!

Amazing what a single misstep can do. There's a lot I can accomplish in those 10minutes!

No comments: